Tuesday, February 23, 2016

Another Bookish Post

It's been 3 months since I did a book post - here's what I read and what I thought was worth recommending.  I should post these more often since some I can't remember the book off the top of my head!

On the top of the pile at 5 Stars:
Wonder by RJ Palacio - This one is a kid's book, but so good.  About a kid who is different, and the reactions of others as he enters regular school.
The Nightingale by Kristin Hannah - a wartime story, set in France. Very good.
My Grandmother Sends Her Regards and Apologises by Fredrik Backman - I wasn't sure into the first chapter, but then it got more understandable, and was really entertaining.
Anne of Green Gables by LM Montgomery - This migrated from M's bookshelf to mine, and I chose it for the 'Book That You've Read Before' category of the 2016 Reading Challenge.  I haven't read this since I was a kid, and found it delightful. 
The Husband's Secret by Liane Moriarty - Three women's stories that intersect around this uncovered secret - a good read.  Set in Australia.

Have I ever mentioned that I hate rating books?  I'm looking at these now and thinking, well, if I gave that one a 4 I should move that one, and didn't I enjoy that one just as much as that one?  So it's an imprecise art...

4 Stars
The Sweetness of Forgetting by Kristen Harmel - a girl with a falling apart life has to travel to France for her Grandmother's last request - a wartime story and family coming together.  I do enjoy getting glimpses of other places and other times.
The House at Riverton by Kate Morton - A back in time to find out what really happened kind of book.  A good read, similar in structure to all her others, (except I haven't read The Lake House, her latest, and hear it doesn't fit her usual formula.)
Crossing to Safety by Walter Stegner - A story of two couples and their friendship spanning decades.  Insightful writing.
Get Lucky by Katherine Center - Loses job, becomes surrogate to have baby for sister - some good comedy. 
Seabiscuit by Laura Hillenbrand - The meticulously researched story of an amazing racehorse.  Another time & place again - US in the depression. 

3.5 Stars
The Life Changing Magic of Tiding Up by Marie Kondo - I had heard from people who had read thiis and were following her method, and I browsed a few pages in Costco a couple of times, then bought it.  Then my book club decided to read it too.  Our consensus - while a bit hokey at times, she does have a lot of insight and practical tips that you can adopt even if you don't jump in the deep end.
A Memory of Violets by Hazel Gaynor - Set in London in 1912, about the flower sellers.

3 Stars
The Corpse with the Diamond Hand by Cathy Ace
The Miniaturist by Jessie Burton

I'm not reading tonight because I am browsing the interwebs checking out the new modern calligraphy and brush lettering... I dug out my calligraphy stuff yesterday and made a shopping list for Michaels for tomorrow night while N is at Awana...  A new obsession?  Aaahh... but it's cheaper than Lego!

As always, share a book in the comments that you are enjoying - my to-read list is always open to new suggestions!

No comments: