It's a simple word, and oh-so-common, but the depths! And I do feel that this is really something I need to dig into this year.
- Parenting a little boy - how can I express love in the midst of discipline effectively? How can I teach him to love well?
- In marriage - we just celebrated 10 years, but in marriage, how to love well is always something to think about.
- Loving a big kid - how can I love well and effectively when big changes happen like high school grad and new adventures after that?
- Ministry - loving those outside my four walls - This is where my projects in the works come in, and I need to see it all, the whys and the hows, through the filter of love.
- Extended family, church family, friends - how am I doing at loving? What can I do better?
- Loving God - He is unchanging and knowable, but there is always more to discover about our Lord. I want to dig into learning to love him more.
I am reading in Job at the moment, and 1:21 says "The Lord gave and the Lord has taken away; may the name of the Lord be praised." I imagine many of you read that and immediately think of what has been taken away; I know I do. We all have ups and downs in life; the truth is that there are seasons of grief and pain, and that there are also seasons of rest and refreshing. I am so glad to have come through a season of Receive, and I think that's why Love is a natural fit for this year. I feel like paying back - paying forward - all the good we've received lately.
May you have a wonderful 2017.
PS - Do you have a word? Leave me a comment and tell me a bit about why you picked it.